Saturday, December 16, 2006

KNOW…NOT KNOW

“The more I know…the more I do not know”

Somehow, I believe this. Why?

I don’t want to imply that I know so much, yet the capacity and “amount” of what I know pushes me to know more. To know more that is still beyond my reach. David Hume said that somehow, when we think about one thing, others spring about and thus, information and knowledge becomes wider and wider.

Let’s place it simply as this: Somehow, when we are able to know or understand something, we also have that equal or greater desire to know more of what we know. This is exemplified by our continuous search of knowledge. However great the knowledge did the world know, those who are living in it is in their unending search for knowing more and knowing better.

However, one question is asked: With everything that the world knows now, does it change them? Or placing it in a particular level, how am I changed by the things that I know?

We are not to deny the fact that the world changes us in one way or another. We are of the world…I am of the world. But that doesn’t mean that the world owns me, and would decide with what I make up of my life. By the way, when I say “world” here, it means everything in it: especially the other man besides oneself.

I admit that the world changes me…it changed me and continuously changes me, that somehow completes the me now. However, the world doesn’t decide on what I would get to do with my life. I still have my own somehow…What I think is more important here is that what we do of the changes that the world gives to us…whether we have it as something that would make us, or break us...

The more I gain the intellectual union of the subject and object (knowledge)…the more I do not know of it…

There goes man’s continuous path of learning…never ending, always fruitful…

No comments: